Wednesday, February 4

For those who have yet to see the beautiful movie "Mr.Magorium's Wonder Emporium" I suggest you do. The writing and acting, plus the visual effects will have your heart bursting and magic will fill every corner of your mind. The scene below is Mr. Magorium (Dustin Hoffman) speaking to his manager, Molly Mahoney (Natalie Portman) knowing he is about to pass on. This scene broke my heart to pieces and built it back up again in only 4 minutes. It was beautifully acted and Helm wrote it so children would understand, but that adults would believe. Click the link to see it. It's definitely worth 4 minutes of your time. (Copy and paste in browser)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0gXZTfuD1Q


I see this how my mom would've passed away. Beautiful. Simple. And straight into the stars of heaven.


"When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words.
I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died." [turning back to Mahoney]...your life is an occasion, rise to it."

1 comment:

  1. I think Zach Helm is a genius. I can't watch either Mr. Magorium or Stranger than Fiction without crying in happiness.

    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete